Sunday, August 28, 2016

Major Claudius Buster legacy

Greenbrier County, West Virginia


This biography was submitted by Sandy Spradling,

E-mail address:  SSpradling@aol.com


This file may be freely copied by individuals and non-profit organizations for their private use. All other rights reserved. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires the written approval of the file's author. This file is part of the WVGenWeb Archives. If you arrived here inside a frame or from a link from somewhere else, our front door is at


History of Greenbrier County

J. R. Cole

Original print: Lewisburg, WV 1917, p. 125-127

MAJ. CLAUDIUS BUSTER (1764-1843)

Maj. Claudius Buster, son of John, born 1764, descended from one of the earliest Scotch and Irish families of Virginia, according to the Government reports of Revolutionary War pensions, issued in 1841, drew a pension for service with the Colonies. He was one of the most prosperous and most prominent men of his county, and died in 1843.


THE OTHER MAJ. CLAUDIUS BUSTER (1733-1807)
Owner of the Ivy Tavern in Albemarle, VA. More information about THIS Claudius:
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/buster/190/

His grandson, George Washington Buster (1801-1867) was sheriff of Kanawha county and afterwards became the owner of the once famous resort, the Blue Sulphur Springs, where he died in 1868. These springs are yet in the possession of his descendants. His son, Charles Blackwell Buster, born October 22, 1838, in Charleston, W.Va., moved with his parents to the Blue Sulphur when a child. The Blue Sulphur was his home, although many times, for short periods, in business elsewhere, until elected county clerk of Greenbrier in 1884 necessitated his moving to Lewisburg. He had this office for twenty-four years, having continuously been elected to it until he retired from business in 1909, and has lived a quiet retired life in Lewisburg ever since. During the Civil War he served as a second lieutenant, Company B, Wise Legion; was in service six months and was then retired on account of ill health.




The Blue Sulphur Springs Pavilion is a historic Greek Revival structure in Blue Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, United States. The Pavilion is the only surviving structure from the Blue Sulphur Springs Resort, a 19th-century mineral spa, and was built to shelter the sulphur spring at the resort. The Pavilion consists of twelve columns holding up a square roof, and is primarily built with brick. It was built in 1834 along with the resort and was added to the National Register of Historic Placeson October 29, 1992.



The Pavilion began construction in 1834, but the year the Blue Sulphur Springs Resort opened June 1, 1838. The Blue Sulphur Springs Pavilion lies about 9 miles north of Alderson, West Virginia in a bucolic cattle pasture surrounded by mountains. The pavilion was originally built around 1834 by Dr. Alexis Martin in the Greek Revival style. Made of marble slabs five-feet wide, the sides enclosing the mineral spring are covered with brilliant pink sandstone. The pavilion was the heart of a nineteenth century resort complex, Blue Sulphur Springs, where Dr. Martin was the resident physician and administered the first mud baths. George Washington Buster owned the resort; it was named Blue Sulphur Springs for the iridescent color of the springs. The original resort included, along with the Pavilion, a three-story hotel with 200 rooms and a bathhouse. The resort was visited by several noteworthy guests in the 1840s, including Robert E. Lee, Henry Clay, and Presidents Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren. The resort was a prime spot for the promotion of relaxation and health, as the sulphur spring at the resort was considered to be a remedy for numerous diseases. 

Blue Sulphur Springs Resort began to decline in the 1850s due to competition from other resorts such as The Greenbrier and an economic downturn. The resort closed in 1859 and became Allegheny College, a school for Baptist ministers; the college closed in 1861. The resort buildings were used by both sides in the Civil War as a camp and hospital. In 1864, the Union Army burned the resort to prevent the Confederate Army from utilizing them; only the Pavilion survived the fire.

Charles's mother was Ann Chilton, born 1809, married in 1833, died in 1884, the daughter of Dr. Samuel and Lucinda Blackwell Chilton. Lucinda Blackwell was the daughter of Capt. Samuel Blackwell of the Revolution. The Chilton and Blackwell families repeatedly intermarried until they virtually became the same family.  Dr. Samuel Chilton was the son of Col. Charles Chilton, of Hereford, born 1741, and his mother was Elizabeth Blackwell. Col. Charles Chilton is likewise the ancestor of the famous Charleston Chilton family, to which belongs the present United States Senator, William E. Chilton. The Chilton family, back to the first settler from England, is given in full detail in McKenzies Colonial families of the United States, in which is also a cut and description of the Chilton coat of arms. The Blackwell family has been written up in the Times Despatch, October 1, 1910, and it gives a long line of ancestors.

Charles married Virginia W. Hamilton, daughter of Jacob and Delilah (Jarrett) Hamilton and the granddaughter of Maj. William Hamilton (his wife was a Miss Clemmons), who was one of the first settlers of Greenbrier, having been a soldier in the Revolution and having come from Augusta and settling near the Blue Sulphur Springs when there were no white men west of that Section. 

Five children were born of this marriage, two of whom are now living (as of 1917): 
  • Annie Hamilton Buster, who was married in 1890 to Louis Pitzer Housman, the son of Housman and Fannie Pitzer Housman; they now live in Pueblo, Col., and their children are Virginia Chilton, Robert Louis and Charles McFerrin. 
  • Emma Bernard Buster, who was married in 1895 to Henry Arthur Henderson, a civil engineer, of England, the son of Gen. John Henderson, of the English army, and Ellen Lushington Harris (see Burke's Peerage). Of this marriage three children were born; the eldest died in infancy. The two living are Cohn David Henderson and Eleanor Virginia Hamilton Henderson. 

  • Charles Blackwell married a second time to Mattie W. Cooper, the daughter of the Rev. A. W. Cooper, of the Methodist church, and Martha Gabbert, and from this marriage his children were Blackwell Chilton, born October 28, 1890, married August 27, 1910, to Mary Lillian Livesay; and 
  • Mary Evelyn Buster, born January 19, 1898

  • Charles Blackwell Buster has brothers and sisters as follows: 
  • Samuel, died young; 
  • Alexis Martin, born July 12, 1836, married Sarah Emma Hamilton, daughter of Maj. William Hamilton; 
  • Lucy Ann, born in 1840; Thomas Bernard, born 1845, and died in the service of the Confederacy as a member of Company B, Sixtieth Virginia Infantry, C. S. A.

  • Charles has always been an enthusiastic citizen of the best type, with a broad horizon of friends and acquaintances.  At present he lives quietly, enjoying the remembrance of a long life of local prominence and prestige. The two-volume work, Men of West Virginia, published in 1903, gives a great deal of space and detail of the life and family of Mr. Buster, with an excellent portrait of him.

William Buster/ Bustard (b.1694)
Major Claudius Buster (b.1733) Claudius Buster Jr.(b.1779) George Washington Buster (b.1801, VA) Charles Blackwell Buster (b.1838, VA)

Sunday, August 21, 2016

John E. Buster: The doctor that helped create embryo transfer

Dr. John E. Buster
John Edmond Buster (born July 18, 1941) who worked at the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, directed the research team that performed history's first embryo transfer from one woman to another resulting in a live birth. It was performed at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, reported in July 1983, and led to the announcement of the first human birth February 3, 1984. In the procedure, an embryo that was just beginning to develop was transferred from the woman in whom it had been conceived by artificial insemination to another woman who gave birth to the infant 38 weeks later. The sperm used in the artificial insemination came from the husband of the woman who bore the baby.

This scientific breakthrough established standards and became an agent of change for women suffering from the afflictions of infertility and for women who did not want to pass on genetic disorders to their children. Donor embryo transfer has given women a mechanism to become pregnant and give birth to a child that will contain their husband’s genetic makeup. Although donor embryo transfer as practiced today has evolved from the original non-surgical method, it now accounts for approximately 10% of in vitro fertilization recorded births.

Prior to this, thousands of women who were infertile, had adoption as the only path to parenthood. This set the stage to allow open and candid discussion of embryo donation and transfer. This breakthrough has given way to the donation of human embryos as a common practice similar to other donations such as blood and major organ donations. At the time of this announcement the event was captured by major news carriers and fueled healthy debate and discussion on this practice which impacted the future of reproductive medicine by creating a platform for further advancements in woman's health.

Buster and other members of the UCLA research team were featured on The Today Show, NBC News, Good Morning America, Oprah Winfrey, Phil Donahue and showcased in leading print publications such as the New York Times, New York Times Magazine, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, People Magazine, and Time Magazine.

This work established the technical foundation and legal-ethical framework surrounding the clinical use of human oocyte and embryo donation, a mainstream clinical practice, which has evolved over the past 25 years. Building upon Buster's research, and since the initial birth announcement in 1984, well over 200,000 live births resulting from donor embryo transfer have been, and continue to be, recorded by the Centers for Disease Control(CDC) in the United States to infertile women, who otherwise would not have had children by any other existing method.

For this work and in addition to a number of groundbreaking medical advancements in women's health, notably in the field of reproductive medicine Buster received the Legends Award in May 2012. "Legends" are selected based upon their internationally recognized contributions to medicine through research and innovative clinical practice. It was awarded by The Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed or LABioMed) located at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.


INFERTILE WOMAN HAS BABY THROUGH EMBRYO TRANSFER
By SANDRA BLAKESLEE
Published: February 4, 1984

embryo transfer
LONG BEACH, Calif., Feb. 3— The birth of the first baby conceived in one woman's womb and carried to birth in another's without the use of ''test tube'' fertilization was announced here today by a team of California physicians.

The baby, a boy born about two weeks ago, ''is just beautiful,'' said the team leader, Dr. John E. Buster of the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine. He described the embryo transfer technique, long used in cattle but just now applied to humans, at a news conference at Long Beach Memorial Hospital. The technique does not require surgery, anesthetic or test tube fertilization of the egg, Dr. Buster said. A report of the birth appears in today's issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

In the procedure, an embryo that was just beginning to develop was transferred from one woman in whom it had been conceived by artificial insemination to another woman who gave birth to the infant 38 weeks later. The sperm used in the artificial insemination came from the husband of the woman who bore the baby.

Dr. Buster said the technique was different from ''test tube'' fertilization, which involves surgical removal of an unfertilized egg from a woman, fertilization of the egg in a laboratory dish, and implantation of the fertilized egg into the womb. Technique Is Described

Australian researchers last month reported the first successful birth in which an egg donated by one woman was fertilized and then implanted in an infertile woman. It was similar to the procedure announced today in that it used a donor's egg that had already reached the embryo stage and then was implanted in another woman. But the Australian case still required fertilization of the egg in a glass dish rather than in the donor's body.

Along with a half-dozen colleagues, Dr. Buster described the technique and his plans to establish the first ovum transfer clinic at Memorial Hospital this spring.

The hormonal cycles of the egg donor and recipient must be well matched, the physicians said. Five days after a donor is artificially inseminated, her uterus is flushed out and if a healthy embryo is present it is inserted immediately into the recipient's uterus. The embryo may consist of only 8 to l0 cells and would not be visible to the naked eye.

Donors and recipients are also matched by blood type, Rh factor, and hair and eye color. Beneficiaries of Procedure

transfer technique
The embryo transfer technique should prove desirable to women who have defective ovaries and thus produce no functional eggs of their own, who are tired of surgery attempts that have not yet worked or who may carry genetic disorders, Dr. Buster said. As long as the infertile couple is willing to accept a donated egg, the technique can be carried out in a doctor's office. Fertility and Genetics Research Inc., a Chicago-based company that helped develop the technique, announced plans to establish a national computer base to handle a stock of fertilized eggs. It has also applied for patents on the instruments used in transferring human embryos.

The company's right to such patents and to set up clinics across the country has been challenged by Jeremy Rifkin, president of the Foundation for Economic Trends in Washington, because the technique ''reduces the process of human reproduction to a commercialized product to be bought and sold in the marketplace.'' Mr. Rifkin said he planned a suit in patent court.

But Dr. Buster said the recipient mother, a woman in her 30's who had an eight-year history of infertility, is not upset over such issues. ''She is very happy and has a beautiful baby,'' he said.

The research team has attempted 46 transfers and had two successes. The second woman pregnant by the technique will be ready to give birth soon, he said, adding, ''We are very proud.''


Edmond Beatty Buster Jr (b.1918, Parker Co, TX) FATHER

Edmond "Bate" Beatty Buster Sr (b. 1891, Parker Co, TX,) GRANDFATHER

Green N. Buster Buster (b. 1858, Lawrence Co, AR) GREAT-GRANDFATHER

John Francis Buster (b. 1831, VA) 2ND GREAT-GRANDFATHER

Francis Beatty Buster (b. 1818, Scott, VA) 3RD GREAT-GRANDFATHER

John Buster Sr. (b.1755  Orange, NC ) 4TH GREAT-GRANDFATHER

William Buster Jr. (b.1729  Albemarle, VA ) 5TH GREAT-GRANDFATHER

William Buster Sr. (b.1694, UK ) 6TH GREAT-GRANDFATHER


Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sheriff Sanford David Buster



Birth: Mar. 29, 1870

Death: May 20, 1938



Sanford Buster was a farmer from Hygiene who made something of a career in local politics. Following his two terms as Sheriff, he served as deputy County Assessor and three terms as a County Commissioner. Sheriff Buster is noted for having been the first to "motorize" the Sheriff's Office, in 1914 he purchased four Excelsior motorcycles for the deputies to use in performing their duties. Sheriff Buster died in 1938. He and his wife Pearl are buried in Longmont's Mountain View Cemetery. Sanford and Pearl had the following children: Eston Louden, Sanford David Jr., Bernard Royal, Orion Ruth.


OBIT
Sanford D. Buster, prominent boulder county citizen, pioneer of the Longmont district, and former county commission and sheriff of Boulder county, died at his home near Hygiene Saturday, May 21, at 2:45 a.m. While he had been in poor health for some time and only recently returned to his home from the hospital, his death was sudden, and comes as a shock. During the night he suffered a heart attack and physicians were summoned, but before they could reach the bedside of the sufferer he had passed away.


Sanford David Buster was a native of Hamilton, Missouri, where he was born March 28, 1870, being 68 years, one month and 28 days of age at the time of his death. When the deceased was nine years old, the family came to Colorado, taking up their home at Pleasant View, southeast of Longmont, in 1870. The Buster children attended Pleasant View school and Sanford later graduated from the old Longmont college.


In 1893 Sanford Buster claimed as his bride, Miss Pearl Boyd, the wedding taking place in Erie. Some years later he moved into the Hygiene section and for the past 30 years the family has resided on the present Buster farm. In 1912 the deceased entered politics and was elected sheriff. He served with distinction and in 1914 was re-elected, serving in this capacity four years and declining the nomination for a third term. He returned to the farm after leaving office and in 1922 was elected county commissioner from the Longmont district and served in this capacity until 1934.


As a county commissioner Mr. Buster established an enviable reputation as a road builder, Boulder county roads being classed as the best in the state. It was through his efforts that the Longmont-Lyons road was oiled many years ago, the first road in northern Colorado to be so improved. Public Spirited Sanford Buster was interested in various public enterprises and for years was one of the directors of the the Boulder County Fair association; he was keenly interested in boys and girls rural club work, was instrumental in the construction of the club building at Roosevelt Park, and brought about the employment of a county agent for Boulder county.


The deceased was affiliated with the Congregational church, was a member of the A. F. & A. M., No. 14, Boulder, and the Boulder Knights Templar. Surviving relatives include his wife, Mrs. Pearl A. Buster; three sons, Eston L. Buster, Hygiene, Sanford D. Buster, Jr., San Francisco, and Bernard R. Buster, Milwaukee; one daughter Miss Orian R. Buster, Hygiene and one sister Mrs. Martin Gorce, Boulder. Three grandchildren also survive, Eston Louden Buster, Jr., Hygiene; Sanford David, Jr. and Phyllys Elaine, San Francisco. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.


William Loudon Buster (b.1838, Pulaski, KY) FATHER
Charles David Buster (b. 1809, Pulaski, KY) GRANDFATHER
Michael Sr. Buster (b. 1757, Russell, VA) GREAT-GRANDFATHER
William Jr. Buster (b. 1735, Albemarle, VA) 2ND GREAT-GRANDFATHER
William Sr. Buster/Bustard (abt. 1694, UK) 3RD GREAT-GRANDFATHER



Resource: findagrave.com

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Gallowglass & the Campbell & Bruce Clans

Colin Campbell
The gallowglass were from the western coast of Scotland, principally Argyll and the Western Isles. Their weapon of choice was a battle axe. Each was usually accompanied by a man to see to his weapons and armor and a boy to carry provisions. In 1569, Turlough Luineach O'Neill (The O'Neill) married Lady Agnes Campbell, daughter of Colin Campbell, 3rd Earl of Argyll, and widow of James MacDonald, 6th of Dunnyveg. Her dowry consisted of at least 1200 gallowglass fighters. Along with two young men as support and friends on top to assist or fight this could easily have numbered over 5,000 current and future gallowglasses coming into the area.  When Sir Michael Woods married Lady Mary Margret Campbell in 1704 in Albemarle, Virginia, this link tied the connection the noble Scottish Campbell family. William John Buster would then go on to marry Jane Elizabeth Woods in 1750 in Albemarle, Virginia, thus linking the Busters to the Woods clan, (who had married into the Campbells and Bruces,) breaking the dogmatic traditions of the Old World.

From the earliest of times there has always been a lot of movement between the people Ireland and Scotland. Indeed, it is highly probable that the very first people to live in Ireland entered the country across the North Channel from Scotland. The Scottish people, whom the Romans called Picti, were also established in Ireland, particularly in Ulster where they were known as the Cruithin. In Roman times Irish marauders frequently raided western Britain and eventually the kingdom of Dal Riada established colonies on the western coast of Scotland. Needless to say, one result of this intercourse was that the Gaelic language became established and dominated the tribal lands of Scotland for many centuries.

Today their clan names are part and parcel of Irish society and are to be found throughout the country. Names such as Sweeney, McDonnell, Mc Cabe, O’ Gallagher,O’ Boyle, McQuillan, McDowells, McSheehy, McConnell, McRory, McGill, McCoy, Campbell, Agnew, McCallion and MacNeill. Many other surnames are also recorded as originating within the gallowglass tradition. In the 9th century AD, the Vikings began their raids and they also began colonies, particularly in the Hebrides and along the north western coasts of Scotland. These Norse settlers inter-married with the Gaelic speaking natives and adopted the language. The resulting mixed population became known as the Gael-Gall, which literally means the foreigners who speak Gaelic. The King of Norway claimed sovereignty over them until 1263AD, when the Stewart of Scotland, Alexander of Dundonald, acting on behalf of Alexander iii King of Scotland defeated Hakon Hakonarson King of Norway at Largs in Argyll.

The Gael Gall were famous as fierce and brave warriors and as such they hired themselves out to serve as mercenaries. In Ireland these mercenaries became known as Gallóglaich. It is a word compounded from three, Gall, a foreigner, óg meaning young, and laoch meaning a warrior or hero. The first historical mention of the galloglasses operating in Ireland is circa 1259 AD when Aedh Ó Chonchubhair a king in Connaught received a contingent of over 150 of these warriors as part of a dowry given by the king of the Hebrides, (hInnse Gaill,or islands of the foreigners).When the Normans invaded Ireland their advance was stopped in 1270 AD, when Ó Conchubhair put his Galloglassess to good use and slaughtered the Norman force near Carrick on Shannon.

When Edward Bruce came to claim Kingship of Ireland in 1315 he was accompanied by a great force of the Gallowglasses. The other Irish kings also started to hire in these fierce Scottish warriors who spoke their language and shared their customs. They would not only use them in their battles against the Norman English but also against each other.

The Irish nobility inter-married with the Gael-gall and gave them lands and property throughout the island but particularly in Ulster. They were accepted and integrated completely with the native Irish at all levels including the nobility, especially within the northern half of the country but also in Munster and Connaught. It has been recorded that Galloglass were in use as late as 1645 when MacCarthy Riabhach used them in an assault on Mallow in County Cork.These fierce warriors went into battle dressed in knee length chain mail over padded jackets and they wore iron helmets to protect their heads. They used a battle axe that was so heavy that it needed two hands to hold it. They also were skilled in the use of the great sword, an claidhmór or claymore, and used throwing spears.



Follow by Email